Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Suburban Mamma!

Clint and I have been debating forever about getting a new car. We liked the mini-van, but it was starting to get (sigh), to small. So thinking towards the future at the fact that we would probably be having another baby, ONE DAY, we decided to start looking around. We looked, and we looked, and we looked. Then we looked some more, and debated, and looked some more. Then we decided we would take the plunge. I knew we needed something bigger. So that put us to one of those really big vans, or an 8 seat-er SUV. I really liked the suburbans. However, I was dragging my feet...because I couldn't believe I was to this point in life. You know the point where you can't fit anyone into a mini-van?! :) We wanted something that was able to tow my Dad's 4-wheelers, and maybe one day a small camper or a boat (Wink-Wink, Clint!) :). So we decided an SUV was the best way to go. Then after weeks of more looking, pricing, and trying to figure everything out...we found one on KSL. It was at a dealership, so we were able to trade in the van & the jeep. So I am now a Suburban Mamma!!! I love it!! All 4 kids have room, and there are still 2 extra seats in the back. Perfect for when I babysit!! Or if my brother needs to come with us!! Not to mention, I. Love. The. Trunk!! Our mini-van had no trunk space at all. So this has been nice, I can actually put groceries, and our stroller back there.
I have learned a lot from this experience. I usually let Clint do the car shopping, and this time I was very involved. Especially down to the financing, and negotiating. So here are my tips...thanks to other suggestions from the Internet.
#1- Offer your salesman a tip!! It worked wonders for us! They only make a tiny commission, and tipping them just increases their commission, but gives you someone who's willing to fight for you!
#2- Shop at the end of the month!! Another advantage I have learned. Salesman have a certain quota they are trying to fill. It so worked too!!
#3- Don't be afraid to walk away!! When they weren't willing to negotiate with us, I started loading my kids back in the van, and then the numbers started to drop.
#4-Double check all the fees, and paperwork.
#5- Research, Research, Research!!

1 comment:

Claudy said...

Congrats!!!You'll love the room.
It's hard moving into a larger vehicle. I struggled leaving our fun Suburu for our SUV but it had to be done:).
Jason spent all day in a dealership when we got our trailblazer. He laughed at the first offer they made him for our car. Persistence makes a difference!