Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Preston's Teeth!

A couple weeks ago, Preston was really upset, and told us his teeth were hurting. We rushed him into our dentist the next day. To our surprise his back tooth needed a root canal! So they proceeded to start the process, when Preston threw up on them. The dentist suggested that he see a Pediatric Dentist and have him sedated. So this morning at 5:30 am Clint got up to take him to his appointment. They sedated Preston and were able to get a full mouth x-ray. Well come to find out...Preston's back teeth were in worse shape then we thought. 3 of his baby teeth, that had been filled before, had decayed even more, to the point that some of the roots were gone. So not only did Preston get a root canal today, he had 3 teeth pulled, and 2 other cavity's filled. So I am feeling like the worst mom ever. I swear we brush!! He has a harder time flossing, but we still try and do it. So I am just baffled at how bad his back teeth were. If anyone knows of any suggestions or ideas to keep them healthier, please feel free to share! Well, to keep Preston from being too upset, we did remind him that the tooth fairy gets to come now. He is very excited for that!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Aw, poor Preston! I have really bad teeth too, so I can relate. (At least they're mostly just his baby teeth!) Apparently, naturally white teeth are not good b/c they are really soft, which makes for a lot of dental work! A few thoughts:

1. Does your water have fluoride in it? My dentists always say our water must not have had fluoride when I was a kid.

2. I usually see sealants recommended for kids. My husband has never had a cavity and he still has sealants on his back teeth!

3. Although it's tough, flossing will help!! I had a ton of dental work a few years ago and since I started flossing every day, I haven't had any new cavities.

4. You may consider getting a new dentist!! Cavities getting worse in already-filled teeth is not good, especially so soon!!

And, finally, you are not a bad mom b/c of this!!! Some of us are just unlucky with teeth! (I'm praying our kids get Brian's teeth!) I hope Preston feels better soon... I'm sure the tooth fairy will help!

Celeste Ferguson said...

Thanks great ideas! I actually said the same thing. Why didn't the other dentist catch that? I mean he was just in 6 months ago!! So I was kinda upset about that. The dentist we saw is a new dentist...so we are going to stick with him. I have heard that about sealants, so maybe we will check more into that! See and my teeth were pretty good, until I started having kids...then they went to pot! :( I am going to check into that fluoride in our water...because I have noticed Addy's teeth have spots that they say are caused by too much fluoride. OH THE JOYS!